The main duty of the Sound Mixer on motion pictures and television is to record clear dialogue regardless of the location, doing whatever is required to facilitate that.
- Examine scripts and meet with Director to discuss technical requirements and vision.
- Location scouts – visit both sets and practical locations to determine technical requirements.
- Attend Production Meeting.
- Obtain/order equipment and expendable items.
- Supervise and assist with load-in of sound department or shared department truck at vendors/suppliers.
- Hire/book Sound Department personnel including Boom Operator and Utility person.
- Supervise/assist with load out of truck. Depending on location/shooting schedule load in/out may occur daily or even more frequently.
- Supervise/assist with set up of sound department equipment including running lengths of cable. Wrap and load equipment into truck at end of shoot day. With the exception of a TV series shot on a sound stage, this is generally repeated daily, or more, depending on the production schedule.
- Move sound department set up around within location as needed.
- Determine correct equipment to be used for each set up – eg boom microphone or wireless mics.
- Supervise Boom Operator and Utility sound person.
- Record and mix multiple channels of dialogue during shooting. Record room tone for each set/location. Occasionally capture wild lines or effects sounds as needed. Occasionally facilitate sound or music playback, and rarely live music recording.
- Maintain headphones for key personnel (director, script supervisor, producers).
- Keep accurate records of takes, and quality of takes for editing – note and alert director of any bad takes. Liaise with post production sound engineers as needed.
- Documentary style, Reality TV style, Car filming require mobile sound mixer rig to follow the action.
- Search out and rectify any sound problems such as noisy air conditioners or refrigerators.
- Deliver raw sound on appropriate media as requested such as CD’s or hard drives.
- Supervise and assist with load-out of sound department or shared department truck at vendors/suppliers.
- Ensure any loss and damage claims from vendors investigated and expedited.
- Produce accurate invoices and follow up on accounts receivable.
- Maintain updated resume.